Purdue University, located in West Lafayette, Indiana, USA, was founded in 1869 and has grown to become one of the best universities for international students. The university is ranked =129 by QS World University Rankings 2023.
The university offers a wide range of top-rated academic courses and research opportunities.
Studying at USA’s esteemed universities is an excellent opportunity for Indian students. However, you should keep in mind that the USA is also expensive when compared to other countries for studying.
A great way to manage expenses while studying abroad is to secure scholarships. There are plenty of government-based, organisation-based and university-based scholarships available in the USA.
Fortunately, Purdue University offers a good amount of scholarships to both undergraduate and postgraduate students to help with managing their finances.
In this blog, we’ll explore everything related to Purdue University scholarships for international students.
Types of Purdue University Scholarships for International Students
- Merit-Based Scholarships: Most Purdue University Scholarships for international students are merit-based scholarships. Candidates are shortlisted based on their academic performance and leadership qualities.
Usually, there’s a set of criteria that involves a minimum CGPA or percentage to be selected for these scholarships.
- Need-Based Scholarships: The university also offers need-based Purdue University Scholarships for international students for those with low-income backgrounds. To avail of need-based scholarships, you must submit proof of funds.
- Course-Specific Scholarships: Purdue University Scholarships for international students are offered especially based on your chosen course. These scholarships don’t apply to all courses and change yearly, so it’s best to check with the university before applying.
Purdue University Scholarships for International Students: Eligibility Criteria
The typical requirements for Purdue University scholarships for international students are as shown below. However, the requirements can vary based on the scholarship you’re applying to and the country you’re applying from.
If you’re applying for need-based scholarships, you might be asked for proof of funds. Similarly, if you’re applying for a course-specific Purdue University scholarships for international students scholarship, you may be asked to show proof of some background in the subject.
Here’s a list of common requirements:
- The applicant must meet all the standard requirements for the course of their choice
- An IELTS score of 6.0+ or a TOEFL iBT score of 80 and above
- A Letter of Recommendation
- Certified copies of the applicant’s academic transcripts
- Passport size photograph
- A certified copy of the passport, along with visa documents
- Statement of Purpose
Purdue University Scholarships for International Students from India
Purdue Indian Emerging Scholar Scholarship
Initiated by Purdue alumnus Venu Srinivasan in 2016, this fund was established to attract high-potential and academically brilliant students from India to pursue their prospective undergraduate courses at Purdue.
The Indian Emerging Scholarship is a merit-based scholarship that is highly competitive and offers partial funding for up to $3,000 for the academic year.
The eligible applicant must:
- Be an Indian citizen who graduated from a high school in India.
- Possess a GPA of 3.5 or above.
- Have an exceptional academic record.
More Purdue University Scholarships for International Students
Williamson Scholarship for Excellence in Agriculture
The scholarship is awarded to proficient first-year students with a GPA of 3.5 or above. Excellent academic scores, participation in various athletic activities, and community service for a period of three to four years are some other basis for the selection of applicants.
Applicants with notable involvement in activities at the local, state, or national level for farmers in the United States of America have the edge over other applicants for selection.
Asian Cultural Council Grants
The grant offers financial support for tuition fees, research, and travel to undergraduate and graduate students pursuing higher studies in the arts or humanities.
The funding provided by ACC covers living expenses and academic year costs, offering up to $30,000 to selected applicants.
To be considered, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- They should have the ability to utilise their education to influence their community positively
- Exhibit a remarkable track record of artistic or professional excellence with growth potential
- Independently apply for acceptance to the chosen course of study
- Provide proof of acceptance to the ACC
ISA Educational Foundation Scholarship
Awarded to university students demonstrating a brilliant academic record with a potential for a long-term contribution in the field of automation and control, this scholarship supports tuition fees and additional expenses of the awardees.
An applicant must meet the following criteria to be eligible:
- Be enrolled in either a 2, 3, or 4-year undergraduate or graduate program in instrumentation, automation discipline, or systems at an educational institution
- Submit an educational record of their academic performance
- Submit two letters of reference and a letter of recommendation
Purdue Doctoral Fellowship
The fellowship aims to enhance the student body diversity by recruiting brilliant PhD students with varied experiences and skill sets. A four-year award package is provided with each scholarship.
Tuition fees, a medical insurance supplement, and a stipend are covered in this scholarship package.
The selected applicants will receive:
- $24,124 per annum (2022-2023)
- Two years of support from a student’s graduate program
- Two years of support from the Graduate school.
Designed to recruit exceptionally bright and talented PhD students, this program provides a four-year award package to graduate students covering their tuition fees. It also provides an insurance supplement along with a stipend.
The selected candidates receive:
- $24,124 per annum
- Three years of support from a student’s graduate program
- One year of support from the Graduate school.
Other USA Scholarships for Indian Students
Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowship
Different fields from which the candidates can make their choice of study include arts and culture management, economics, environmental studies, international affairs, journalism and mass communication, public administration, public health, and women’s studies.
This is a fully-funding scholarship only for post-graduate students, and candidates need to meet the following requirements to be eligible.
- The applicant must have completed a bachelor’s degree from a reputed Indian University with at least 55% marks
- The applicant must have professional work experience of at least three years
- The applicant should demonstrate leadership qualities and community service
- The applicant must not have any other degree from a U.S. university
The benefits of the grant include:
- J-1 visa support
- Round trip economy class airfare from the applicant’s home country to the US
- Funding for full tuition fees for each semester
- Living costs
- Accident and sickness coverage as per the guidelines of the U.S. government
Overall, Purdue is an excellent option to study in the USA as the university not only delivers the best education, but also helps their students avail it through financial aids.
Studying at Purdue University and pursuing higher education of your own choice can become much easier and stress-free for exemplary students with all the scholarships listed in the above article.
To secure the scholarship of your choice, and an admission in the university of your dreams connect with our experienced guides. Book a free call with Leap Scholar counsellors to get started!
Frequently Asked Questions
When is the best time to apply for Purdue scholarships?
To enhance your chances for scholarship considerations, incoming freshmen should complete the admissions application form by November and free application for student aid by the end of December.
What are some of the most popular courses at Purdue University?
Nursing, Mechanical Engineering, Pharmacy, Computer Science, Aviation Management and Engineering Technology are some of the most popular courses at Purdue University.
When are new enrollments accepted at Purdue University?
New enrollments are accepted in the Fall, Summer, and Spring semesters at Purdue University.
Are there any additional requirements or documents for Indian students to apply for scholarships at Purdue University?
Common requirements include academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, personal statements, and financial documentation. You may need additional information depending on the course and type of scholarship.
How to apply for Purdue University scholarships for international students?
To apply for scholarships at Purdue University, students can visit the university’s official scholarship website or contact the financial aid office. If you want more assistance, you can contact our experts, and we’ll help you through it!
Are there any fully-funding scholarships at Purdue for Indians?
No, currently, the scholarships only cover partial tuition fees.
What is the Purdue University acceptance rate?
The acceptance rate at Purdue University is 58%, however, it varies depending on the intake and course you’re applying to. September intake is usually more competitive.
Can I apply for scholarships in the USA before being accepted into a university?
Yes, you can apply to some government or external organisation scholarships before you recieve the acceptance letter. But keep in mind, most scholarships require university acceptance letter, and therefore it might reduce your chances of getting selected.
How many campuses does Purdue University have?
Students get to pick between four Purdue University campuses: Purdue University West Lafayette (the flagship campus), Purdue Fort Wayne, Indiana University- Purdue University Indianapolis and Purdue University Northwest.
What is the average tuition fee range at Purdue University?
Purdue University tuition fee ranges from $30,000 to $45,000 depending on course and degree level.
Is Purdue University good for international students?
Purdue University has a diverse international community with students representing over 120 countries. There are numerous cultural organizations, clubs, and events that allow international students to connect with each other.